Links

Monday, July 27, 2026

Whither Alibis?

The title card of the 1932 British film "Alibi"
(There will be not discussion about the 1931 film. Title card found here.)

So yeah I kinda sorta gave away the reason for this theme yesterday, when I talked about the Kinsey Millhone series of detective books by Sue Grafton, the first of which is A Is For Alibi. I was so charmed by the series that I read the first four books in succession, stopping only because I thought I should read some other books in-between. But looking at the cover of the first installment one day I wondered to myself if there were enough songs about alibis to do a radio show about them. & boy were there!

In my own experience, I don't think I've ever really had to establish an alibi for something - or had to have an alibi to prove I was innocent. The closest I probably came was when I spoke to fire inspectors for the KOOP fire of 2008, which was arson. I never thought I had to establish an alibi because I didn't do it, & anyway, they never asked me about my whereabouts on the night in question nor did they (as far as I know) do any investigating related to me. From what I understand, they asked questions of everyone about the space & they had four or five facts that only the arsonist would have known, & I didn't know any of them. I didn't need an alibi!

Also you don't need an alibi when you forget to listen - I understand! The show is on quite late! It's happening tonight from midnight to 2am on 90.7fm in Portland & everywhere at kboo dot fm. & if, as many believe, the show is a crime, I have no alibi - I'm there every damn week.

No comments:

Post a Comment