Links

Sunday, August 02, 2026

Preface To Petals: Petaluma

A mostly unlabeled relief map of the state of California, the only marked location being Petaluma.
(found on Wikipedia)

So yeah, the show this week is about petals. Looking for songs about petals, I sometimes find songs about Petaluma. Which Wikipedia tells me is "a city in Sonoma County, California, United States, located in the North Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area." (I don't think I've ever visited.)

Does the name of the town have anything to do with petals? No, sir. The Wikipedia tells us, "Petaluma's name comes from the Miwok village named Péta Lúuma that was located on the banks of the Petaluma River."

But surely there's someone in that town who may want to make a pun on the "petal" in Petaluma - like maybe having a "Petaluma Petal Festival" or something like that? Nope.

What I did find in my very limited search was a business called Petal Town Flowers. That would be cool, calling Petaluma "Petal Town." I also found an Instagram user called Petaluma Petals whose page announces "I am learning to photograph plants (& other things) in Petaluma, CA & anywhere else life takes me." I don't have an Instagram account so I can't access this page but I applaud this obvious pun. I will almost certainly use it in the show.

But sadly no songs about Petaluma. The town's name has nothing to do with petals, & that's what this week's show is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment