Monday, July 24, 2017

Rowlf

(Rowlf & Rufus walk to the car to go to the park, April 2017)

Today I lost a friend.  We weren't close friends, we actually barely knew each other, but as I love every animal I meet, I loved him instantly.  He was my wife's mother's dog, he was a poodle mix named Rowlf, & I guess he was kind of like a brother-in-law.

My wife advised her mother, since she was getting older, that she should get a dog, that it would encourage her to exercise, & on a visit, she accompanied her mother to the shelter to adopt Rufus, the large basset hound up there.  (He's sixteen in that picture.)

My mother-in-law would take Rufus to the dog park, & one day, when it was a little rainy, Rowlf was there, & he & Rufus played.  She didn't see any other people around, & figured that Rowlf was a stray.  Rowlf decided to jump into the car with his newfound friend when it was time them to leave.  You can say quite correctly that Rowlf saved himself.

He was a lovable dog, beset by infirmity from day one: cataracts caused him to go blind when he was still young, & old age robbed him of his hearing.  When I visited last year, he eagerly wanted to play, & would reward my moving around by trying to hump my arm.  Already at that point he had tumors growing on & in him.  Veterinarians advised to keep him happy, he wasn't showing any signs of discomfort.  (Dogs are usually good about not showing signs of discomfort.  They think they're doing us a favor by being brave.)

Some time in the past year, he had a stroke, doctors believed.  He was more puppyish, playing with long-forgotten toys, & prone to wandering, confused about where he was.  When I visited in April, there was no humping, though he was sweet as ever.  & he loved walks.  We took him & Rufus on lots of walks.

Rowlf died today, he was probably fifteen years old, & thanks to the kindness in the heart of my mother-in-law, he doubtless lived a lot longer than fate had in store for the poor-sighted poodle that was probably abandoned at a dog park.  He never told us his story, of course, & he never wanted to, because he had found a home full of love, where he lived a life every dog should be allowed to live.

Myself, I'm just so grateful & glad that I got to know him.

No comments: