Saturday, August 22, 2020

Preface To A Giant Show: Hairless Giants

Somebody was reading to me - sorry, I'll get to talking about giants or whatever in a second - the history of toupees.  I'm sorry, I mean toupées.  Mustn't forget the accent aigu!  By the way, I wasn't sure I spelled "aigu" properly - I thought it was "ague" because that's sort of how I pronounce it - & I found typed quickly into a search engine, "accent age" - & I got this response:

Accents are forever."  Subheading: By their first birthday, babies are getting locked into the sounds of the language they hear spoken.

That's more about accents from a foreign language rather than regional accents; I actually worked pretty hard when I was sixteen years old to lose the Southern accent that I once had & that graces the voices of all of my siblings.  Actually, my mother, who is German, speaks English - I've been told - with a Southern accent on top of her German accent!

Anyway, someone was reading me an article about the toupée (with the accent aigu) (which my blogger spellcheck says is incorrectly spelled, & it says the same about toupée but not toupee) in which it was said the oldest example of a toupée was found in an Egyptian tomb dated over five thousand years ago.  It also mentioned the Ovid quote, "Ugly are hornless bulls, a field without grass is an eyesore. So is a tree without leaves, so is a head without hair."  Gosh male people have had to deal with the stigma of baldness for a long time!

Toupée use has doubtless grown as we've begun living longer.  I myself have less hair every day.  I remember when I was looking for some consolation from the wife about my fear of balding, I asked if I might have a bald spot forming, hoping she would realize that I wanted her to say no, my hair was fine.  She did say no - that was momentarily gratifying - but then she said, "But of course your hair is thinning.  So maybe soon."

My hair was thinning!  I wouldn't buy a toupée though.  It just seems silly.  It's like when the dentist asks if I am interested in teeth whitening.  Isn't that something one does to feel - not necessarily to be - more attractive?  I've never really felt attractive, so doing something to make me feel attractive seems improbable & silly.  Still, I thought, it might be fun to read an article or even a short book about the history of toupées & wigs.  If only I wasn't always working on radio shows!

Like this one coming up about giants!  I was never going to be a giant myself but I do believe that I am actually shrinking.  The last time I had my height checked, I was around 5/8ths of an inch shorter than the last time I had my height checked.  That doesn't bode well.  In fact, it bodes ill.  Bald & shrimpy, my future seems bleak.  I wonder if it's possible to suddenly grow a hunchback in one's dotage?  If so, I'm doomed.

The word "toupée" by the way comes from the French & means "tuft of hair," or "forelock."  The word itself admits it's not the entire head of hair.  I like that.

Giants probably don't worry about hair loss.  Who can see the top of their heads, anyway?

No comments: