Sunday, September 27, 2009

Preface To Used To: I Used To Celebrate Every 100th Post I Created, But Now, Not So Much

It's true. This is the 700th blog entry for the Self Help Radio blog. & here are some factoids about Self Help Radio which you can use at no cost to you the next time you play Obscurity Jeopardy:

Self Help Radio began officially Wednesday, October 9, 2002 at 2pm CST. It lasted sixty minutes. (There had been two or three shows on a different time before the name had gelled, but as soon as it seemed like Wednesday would be the day, the website was built & the clock started.)

The first theme was "The War Show," & the idea was to call all the shows "the [theme] show," but that was abandoned relatively quickly. The show that was scheduled to be on before Self Help Radio was called "The Pilot Show," which was a training hour for new volunteers at the radio station, & that day I subbed it, since no one was scheduled, & that theme was "Hello!" However, no one around here counts that as the first Self Help Radio. Nope.

The show that followed at the time was nice punk rock show which showcased showily bands both local & touring that were in Austin that week. It was called "Live Bait."

I wish I knew what the first archived show was - I recorded the show from the get-go & possess recordings of virtually every Self Help Radio (there are a few gaps, which historians many moons from now will bewail) but I didn't think of making them available on a website till either 2004 or 2005.

& finally, I created this blog almost four years after Self Help Radio began, on September 12, 2006. I generally wrote in it five days a week, although I forgot sometimes, & most often I discussed the themes of the upcoming shows around three days before the show, one post a "preface," the other a "whither [theme]?" It's amazing that I did that from the get-go, although the "whither [theme]?" posts predated the "preface" post by one post. At this point, as well, Self Help Radio was on Friday afternoons.

The 100th post happened on March 7, 2007.

The 200th post happened on August 13, 2007. (158 days later.)

The 300th post happened on January 9, 2008. (149 days after the 200th post.)

The 400th post happened on May 26, 2008. (138 days after the 300th post.) (Also, at this point, Self Help Radio had become a show without a radio station.)

The 500th post happened on October 14, 2008. (141 days after the 400th post.)

The 600th post happened on March 25, 2009. (162 days after the 500th post.)

& now, 186 days since the 600th post, we're at 700. Due to my month off this year, it's slowed down a little - or a lot. But now that SHR is thriving on WMUL I think things will perk up.

In any event, I used to celebrate these things in some way, shape or form. You know, by doing something notable, or noting something I did. I don't do that anymore. & the past laughs in mockery!

No comments: