Saturday, October 03, 2009

Paraprosdokian

"A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax. For this reason, it is extremely popular among comedians & satirists." (Says the wikipedia.)

Examples!

Will Rogers: "I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat."
Winston Churchill: “If you are going through hell, keep going.”
Groucho Marx: "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Dorothy Parker: "If all the girls at Vassar were laid end to end, I wouldn't be surprised."
Mitch Hedberg: "I haven't slept for ten days. Because that would be too long."
Jimmy Carr: "When someone close to you dies, move seats."
Vance Chamberlain: "She told me the way to a man's heart was through his stomach. She was the worst cardiologist I ever knew."

Bring your own!

No comments: