Thursday, July 26, 2012

Books I'll Never Write, Part I

Once upon a time, I wanted to be a writer.  I know, I can feel you shaking your head in embarrassment for me.  I was unusually smart & wised up & realized I wasn't a very good writer, but it's something that's still in me, not the desire so much, but the thinking about stories & ideas for novels & all that.  (I also wrote poetry but, really, the less said about that the better.)

I didn't write terribly autobiographical stuff - I was barely in my 20's, I had very little life to write about.  But when I think about writing these days, it is autobiographical, since I have a few decades of life behind me & probably less before me.

One book I was thinking about writing these past couple of weeks is about my father.  I know virtually nothing about him - he & my mother were divorced when I was four, & he was an alcoholic who appeared intermittently throughout my childhood.  By the time he kicked the booze, I was in high school, & he showed no interest in getting to know me, & I guess I was too self-involved to care.  He died I believe in my last year of college.  I wasn't sad at his funeral, unlike my sisters, who were devastated.

The book would be called something like "All The Times I Saw My Father," & I would just tell the stories of my (strangely few) memories of him.

But I don't think I'll write such a book, for a couple of reasons.  One is, of course, that I'm not a good writer.  But the other is that it would be a lot of hard work.  A lot of digging through memories that I might not have any more - not to mention trying to contextualize those memories.  I don't think I have the persistence & wherewithal to pull something like that off.

I can think about it, though.  & write about thinking about it.

No comments: