Thursday, December 04, 2014

Whither Waste?

I've already done a show about trash, including songs about garbage.  It's about time I tackle one of trash's synonyms (that's not garbage) & deal with waste.

But waste!  I mean, but wait!  Waste can mean so much more than trash!  It's true.  We waste time, often by getting wasted.  What a waste!  & not, as you might have suspected, what a trash!

The word comes from the French & appears to have originally been used with land that was uncultivated.  Flash forward a few centuries & hipsters in the 1950s start describing themselves as "wasted" - & maybe they meant they were too drunk to even appear cultivated.

I haven't been wasted in a long time, though I'm pretty good at wasting time, especially on the radio.  Don't believe me?  Listen tomorrow from 7 to 9am on 88.1 fm WRFL Lexington.  It'll stream online at wrfl dot fm, & I'll put it up later on self help radio on the web net.

If you're up early, I'll also be doing the 5 to 7 timeslot.  Freeform radio.  Just sayin'.

No comments: