Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Preface To What A Waste: Wasted Days & Wasted Nights

Talking to mother, she says, "Times goes by quicker when you're old."

But she never says, "Don't waste a single moment."

It never occurs to her.

What is a life full of unwasted moments like?

It sounds exhausting.

Is life about using up all the time allotted to you?

I live in a house with eight animals, not counting me, but counting my wife.

My animals (also, not counting my wife) sleep most of the time.

Are they wasting their lives?

According to this article, "feral cats sleep less & are involved in more high-intensity activity than house cats."

But feral cats live on average four to five years, while a house cat can live three times that.

Better to live a short, meaningful life than a long, wasted one?

When I was younger, I felt bored a lot of the time.

I was keenly aware that I was wasting time by the bucketful.

As I got older, as life piled on, I found I barely had time for the things I had to do, let along the things I enjoyed.

But it seems older people need as much sleep as younger people.

I have no idea where I'm going with this.

Just scribbling thoughts out loud.

& no, I probably won't play that Freddy Fender song.

No comments: