Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Whither All Yours?

(I don't know what it means either, but I found it here.)

Yeah, really!  What the hell does that theme mean, "All Yours"?

To understand this theme, we need to travel back in time, 123 years in fact, to June 7, 1893.  We're also traveling over to South Africa, where a very young, very moustached Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi performed his first act of civil disobedience, causing a stir by refusing to move from segregated first class.  He was thrown off the train.

But young Gandhi was allowed to ride first class the next day, which did not stop him from becoming a pain in the butt of the British Empire, then in its height (the Empire, not its butt).  For you see, the British looked at the world & said, "It's all ours!"  & Gandhi said, "It's not all yours!"

Now, a century & twenty-some-odd years later, people from the former British Empire play Americans on television & in the movies, while many Americans see an orange-haired toad as their savior.  Stay with me, I'll make sense in a second.  I had written something down about jazz & about salt.  The salt march, I think, figured into this, or maybe it has something to do with high blood pressure.

Well, anyway, something-something & that's how Self Help Radio became all yours!  It's really a glorious story, & when I find my notes, I'll update this post.  Oh no!  The cat's eaten them.  Sigh.

Since the show is all yours, you might as well listen.  It's on from 4-6pm on 88.1 fm WRFL in Lexington & wrfl dot fm.  Since it is all yours, you may want to come early - there might not be a lot left at the end of the show.

No comments: