Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Whither Idiots?

(Image from here.)

Between you & me, I don't care much for the word idiot.  In addition to the fact that it's usually pretty insulting, it has a difficult psychological history: people who had a "mental age" of three years or less & an IQ less than 30, were considered "idiots."  That classification has fallen into disfavor, but the aspersion still stings.

Why, then, do a show about the word?  To challenge any lingering conceptions?  To redefine the word  for better usage?  To confront those who use the insult with the requisite disgust & scorn?  Um.  No.

Actually, I just found a lot of good songs about idiots.  I don't think I have the energy to challenge, redefine, or confront.  I can barely remember to floss!

Listen to a show full of idiots, including yours truly, tonight from 9-11pm eastern on 93.9 fm WLXU in Lexington & online at the Lexington Community Radio website.  I'd say you'd be an idiot to miss it, but I'm not that kind of guy.

No comments: