Monday, September 13, 2010

Whither Distance?

Right now I am around 860 miles away from the place where I was born. I am about one thousand & seventy miles away from the city where I spent more than half my life - & where I've spent most of my adult life. & I am (gratefully) about 130 miles from the horrible little town in which I spent the past year.

In this hemisphere, I've never been farther north than Boston, nor farther south than Mexico city. Boston is nearly two thousand miles from where I lived at the time, & Mexico City is 750 miles from the same place.

The farthest west I've gone is San Francisco, & the farthest in the other direction is Frankfurt, Germany. Right now the love of my life is very far away from me, in Kyoto, Japan, although I can chat with her on Skype & she sounds clearer than when she's yelling at me in the next room.

How far away are you from me? One of the nice things about WRFL is that you can listen anywhere (as long as you have access to a computer). So if you're awake at whatever time it is where you are, you can listen to Self Help Radio tomorrow, it's on at 4:30 am my time.

& one day, the radio waves that WRFL is sending out may travel vast distances in space & landing on alien ears - or however they are able to interpret the noise we're making.

No comments: