Sunday, September 18, 2011

Whither Whispers?

/whisper

Just between you & me, I was a loud kid. In third grade, the teacher had a little throw rug she kept in the corner which she called the "bicker rug" where she put children who were talkative or noisy (in fact, because I hardly ever got into fights, I had no idea that "bicker" meant "fight" until later on - I thought it meant "rambunctious" or "loud"), & where I often found myself. Only years later, after I met people who were quite loud as adults did I realize I chatted up a storm because I was insecure & wanted attention. My voice was high, then, so it probably made things worse.

Now that I am older & even more insecure, I'm not very loud, because I don't want anyone to know how insecure I am. But I don't whisper a lot, either. My voice is naturally quiet these days, which is a shame because I live with partially deaf beasts & wife. If I had a dollar for every time my wife has said, "What was that again?" I'd have a bunch of dollars. Which I'd give to her to clean out her ears.

I often whisper on the air to create a feeling of intimacy between me & the listener, if such a person really exists. It's more a stage whisper, though, not the sort of whisper that gets shushed in libraries or movie theaters.

I am in whisper mode now, though, because it's imperative that you listen tomorrow at 7:30 am, either on the 88.1 fm frequency in Lexington or online at wrfl dot fm, because I will be whispering further information about whispering directly to you.

Though, now, that I think about it, I'll also be archiving the show later that day at self help radio dot net, so maybe it's not that imperative. I didn't have to whisper after all.

No, no. I did.

No comments: