Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Caesar Salad

I don't know if I've ever had a Caesar salad.  The Wikipedia's entry says that it's a "salad of romaine lettuce & croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, & black pepper."  I haven't always been vegan, so there's a chance I might have eaten one but I don't remember - it seems a pretty bland salad.  No tomatoes?  Gasp!

There are plenty of vegan recipes for Caesar salad out there - like this one, which also (kinda cool) has you make your croutons, something of which I approve.

There are many things one misses when one becomes vegan, but this salad doesn't seem as interesting as some others - like Greek salads.  Boy, feta cheese.  Feta cheese & olives, yum!

Also, apparently you can get salmonella with Caesar salad.  & it wasn't named after the Caesar about which much of the show this week will be.  Though it was named after an Italian named Caesar, so there's a connection, however untenable.

No comments: