Thursday, June 06, 2013

Preface To Losers: Did I Like That Comic Book?

I was never a big fan of war comics, even though my older brothers used to bring home every damn kind of comic, & I was reading comics voraciously by at least the first grade, if not sooner.  (In second grade, I once brought all my comics to school with me, to show a friend.  They fit in a giant grocery bag.)  I was familiar with The Losers, & I did read enough issues to know who the characters were.  I think in retrospect I didn't appreciate the art - the lines of Joe Kubert aren't as attractive to a seven-year-old as they might be to an older comic lover.  (I remember similarly, as a little kid, being somewhat turned off by Neal Adams.)  I liked the people who drew super heroes best.  They made them more cartoony - or at the very least larger than life.

I haven't read the updated version but I did see the movie which, since it featured Idris Elba, is worth watching, especially if you're a little drunk.  But it didn't make me want to read the comic.

I see DC Comics has a collection of Jack Kirby's run on the original Losers:
I'd be curious to read that, but only, you know, because it's Jack Kirby.

If someone had a collection of Losers comics they'd let me read, sure, I'd read them now.  I miss having those old comics around.  But did I like the comic & do I remember it fondly?  No, I guess not.

I feel a little like a loser for saying so.

No comments: