Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Sadness Of Backyard Dogs

There's a recorded PSA (public service announcement) that runs on the station occasionally about adopting cats & dogs from the "pound" (as it used to be called) or Humane Society or whatever.  It says, "A human is the best thing to happen to a shelter animal."

But is it?

There was this Irish Setter (I think that was the breed) who we'd see every day on our dog walk.  He (I assumed it was male) was very old, & he was always in the same place - on the back step of his house (the house was on the corner of an intersection, so we'd walk past the back yard), usually on his side, sleeping.  I never got close enough to actually see how old he might be, but he seemed at least partially blind & would bark at us if he heard us.  One thing I could tell is that his fur was filthy & matted - he was obviously not terribly well cared for.

When his owners were in the backyard, however, he was animated.  He so badly wanted to be talked to, touched, interacted with in any way.  & I never saw - granted, I was just walking by most of the time - I never saw any of them - the father, the mother, the kids - pay him any attention.

He was always outside, he had a small shelter next to the garage, but in heat or cold, he was in the backyard.  Early morning or late night.  I don't imagine he ever was allowed inside.  I got so sad & angry walking by that I told the wife we should change the route so we wouldn't have to walk by.  I had a feeling the dog would be dead out there one day & the family wouldn't notice him until he started to smell.

I feel bad about that - but what could I do?  The dog "belonged" to those people, & they probably provided him with the bare minimum necessary for him to live on.

We changed our dog walk & didn't pass the house any more.  A couple of times this summer we ended up walking past & the dog wasn't in the backyard any more.  I looked for it each time, but it's certainly gone.  It broke my heart but I thought to myself at least its suffering is over.  I am glad I don't know the details of its passing,

I didn't feel so bad about walking by anymore, & occasionally now we do.

Tonight, as we walked by, a new dog was there, barking at us as we passed.  I just felt so so sad.  Usually I try to give treats to neighborhood dogs to calm them down & to get to know them.  I don't want to get to know this dog.  Once he stops being lively, he'll be all by himself in the backyard for the rest of his lonely life.

I know this is traditionally how humans have raised animals, & I know dogs are stronger than we are, & have co-evolved with us, & understand that relationship.  This family treats its dogs about the same way most people have treated dogs since humans first domesticated them.  & certainly the kids will treat their dogs the same way when they're grown & have pets.

But don't we know better now?  Shouldn't we know better now?

Damn it just depresses me.

No comments: