Friday, September 13, 2013

Whither Chant?

I don't chant - I'm not a member of any religious or spiritual group.  I don't even meditate - though I'd like to.  I suppose I enjoy songs with chanting in them.  & I enjoy chants - if you're saying "songs" in French.  I enjoy songs, & I am sometimes pretentious.

Still, at some point in the past year I noticed that chants were coming at me from different points & at different angles.  I thought to myself, I should do a show about chants.  & now it's going to happen.

That seems a prosaic explanation, which has only the virtue of being as true as it's boring.  Most of my shows come from pretty banal origins.  One day I'll have an insight or epiphany perhaps, & maybe even be struck by an actual muse.  But really, Self Help Radio gets an idea from somewhere, lets it sit in some sort of quiet for reflection (though not chanting), & then emerges, somewhat disheveled, as the uncomfortable radio show it is.

It's on tonight!  On 88.1 fm WRFL!  From ten pm to midnight!  Eastern time zone!  Also online at WRFL dot FM!

I'll probably just chant through the airbreaks.  You have been warned.

No comments: