Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Preface To Acid: Trip Advisor

I have a Self Help Radio Facebook page.  Mainly I post playlists there & occasionally pictures of bears.  More people "see" it than this page because they can "like" it & my nonsense shows up in their "feed."  But while it can be much more interactive than this stumpy little blog, it rarely is, because I don't really know how to make it so.  The last time I asked an honest question of my "likes," the idea being that I would use the information to talk about on the show, my smart-ass friends (who make up the bulk of the page's "likes," & who probably haven't listened to my show in forever, if ever) thought I was giving them an opportunity to be "funny" (not funny for real, because this is Facebook), & they made smart-ass remarks.

This morning I was thinking, "Hey! I'll ask a question that some people might answer on the Facebook page!" Here was the question that I thought I might ask, or something like it anyway: "If you've taken LSD, please share your best trip below!"

About two seconds after I thought of that question, I asked myself a question, which was this: "Are you high?"

Facebook - & especially "liked" pages like mine - does not have the same anonymity as some places where users can comment (& be total dicks) to their heart's content behind a fake username.  You sign in mostly as you (or the online you you've constructed, which often has your real name), & your responses are as that you.  Asking people to admit to using an illegal drug - never mind asking them to describe its use - is stupid, & possibly could get them in trouble with employers & other humorless folks down the line.

I could ask people to do so here, where they can comment anonymously, but no one really sees this blog.  Certainly people don't visit here daily.  (I think fewer people see this than my silly Tumblr blog.)  I wouldn't have enough responses to talk about on the show.

But, really, just thinking about this whole process - me considering asking people to fess up on Facebook their drug tales - I just have to ask, "What's wrong with me?"

No comments: