Friday, May 08, 2015

Self Help Radio RERUN: November 17, 2004 - Storms

(Original image here.)

Well, this is gonna be embarrassing.

Since there wasn't a new Self Help Radio today, I thought I'd reach back into my archives & play a show from over a decade ago.  This show, which aired in Austin, Texas, on KOOP in November 2004, from 2 to 3 pm, apparently came at the heels of a stormy week.  I have no memory of any of the circumstances.

It was hard to re-listen to the show - probably as hard as it will be for you to listen!  I talk way too fast, probably because I only have an hour.  I'm more amused by myself than probably anyone listening to the show.  But the music is fine.

Here are a few things of note:

1) We gave away a lot of stuff at KOOP!  I miss that.

2) More people tended to call my show & make requests back then than they did here in Lexington.  I am reminded how active KOOP listeners were!

3) My show didn't have any underwriters, but there were two promos for shows that no longer exist on KOOP:

Queerwaves was a delightful show that, as you might expect, focused on GLBTQ music way before that acronym became popular.  The ebullient host, Taylor Cage, does not appear in the promo, but does lend his voice to a recorded PSA late in the show.

The Liberated Space was KOOP's resident libertarian show.  Host Angela Keaton left the station not too long after this show aired, but I believe did the show from California for a while.  I haven't heard from her in years.

4) I'm very surprised anyone ever let me do a radio show if my early shows were as awful as this one.

At any rate: I will leave the show up for a week if you'd like to listen, so it's now available at the Self Help Radio website, the first show on the page.  It's password protected, you know, so just remember SHR/selfhelp if you can't find it on the page.  The songs I played are below.

Don't let this squander any good will I've managed to gain over the last couple of years!

-----

"Stormy Weather" The Pixies _Bossanova_
"Swamp Thing" The Chameleons _Strange Times_
"Snowstorm" Galaxie 500 _On Fire_

"The Storm" The Guild League _Inner North_
"Storm Boy" The Steinbecks _Recorded Music Salon_
"Calm Before The Storm" The Bats _Daddy's Highway_
"Lazy Thunderstorms" Blueboy _Unisex_

"Skin Storm" Bradford _Shouting Quietly_
"Icestorm" Sportique _Modern Museums_
"Stormy Weather" Glossary _Southern By The Grace Of Location_
"Electrical Storm Girl" Julian Cope _The Skellington Chronicles_

"Storm Window" E*Vax _Fuzzy Boombox Vol. 1_

No comments: