Thursday, December 08, 2016

Self Help Radio 120716: Travel

(Original image found somewhere around here.)

Travel!  Who doesn't love to travel?  Well, come to think of it, my oldest sister hated to travel.  She only got on a plane twice in her life.  She loved to stay at home.  & actually my mother hates to travel - especially since 9/11 - she imagines that every plane that goes up with explode in the sky.  All right, let me ask this again: Who doesn't love to travel who isn't a female member of my family?  Damn it, it's a rhetorical question!

I love to travel, & I don't get to travel as much as I want, since we have eight animals in the house.  The wife travels a lot for her work, & to visit her family, & I usually don't get to go, since I have to watch the eight animals in the house.  My cats don't like to travel, actually - the trip from Lexington to Fort Worth was pretty unpleasant for them.  The dogs, however, love to travel - I wish I could drive everywhere & take them with us.

None of this has anything to do with this week's show except that the show was about travel.  A celebration!  A consternation!  In addition to the songs I played (which are below), I talked to a beleaguered travel agent, to a libertarian who made it his life's work to take down travel agents, & to my spiritual mentor, who blew my mind with a philosophical perspective on travel.  Also, I took a phone call from a couple of traveling musicians down in New Orleans.  It was as hastily assembled, over-packed, & hectic as your average long journey!

The show is now at the Self Help Radio website.  Have a listen: it's like taking a trip, without all that traveling & having great times & enjoying yourself!

(part one)

"Traveling Solves Everything" Violent Femmes _We Can Do Anything_
"Lonesome Traveller" Marianne Faithfull _Come My Way_
"Weekend Travel" Winter Vacation _Hit Music Only_

"Travelling Man" The Woodentops _Giant_
"Travelin' Man" Psychic Ills _Hazed Dream_
"A Travelin' Man" The New Christy Minstrels _Ramblin'_
"Hot Travel Tips" Todd Barry _Super Crazy_
"Have Love Will Travel" The Sonics _Here Are The Sonics!!!_

"Travel Agent Man" The Sound Apparatus _Garageaholic! Psychedelic! Outsider Music!_
"Travel Agent" Monty Python _Monty Python's Previous Record_
"Travelin' Blues" T-Bone Walker _The Original Source_
"Hard Road To Travel" Jimmy Cliff _Jimmy Cliff_

"Red Travelin' Socks" Malcolm Middleton _Waxing Gibbous_

(part two)

"Traveling Alone" The Mekons _Existentialism_
"Hard Travelin'" Woody Guthrie _Selections From The Woody Guthrie Centennial Collection_
"Travelin' On" Simon Bonney _Everyman_

"Have Blues, Will Travel" Eddie Noack _The 'D' Singles Collection, Vol. 1_
"Travelin' Mood" Wee Willie Wayne _Crescent City Soul: The Sound Of New Orleans 1947-1974_
"Air Travel" Chris Farlowe _The Mod Scene_
"International Travel" Lewis Black _Rules Of Enragement_
"Travelogue" Glo-Worm _Glimmer_

"I Believe In Travellin' Light" Belle & Sebastian _I'm A Cuckoo_
"Travelling Light" Lloyd Cole _Antidepressant_
"Travellin' Light" Peter Case _The Man With The Blue Postmodern Fragmented Neo-Traditionalist Guitar_
"Traveling Light" Leonard Cohen _You Want It Darker_

"Why Do The Wrong People Travel?" Noel Coward _Noel Coward Sings Sail Away & Other Coward Rarities

No comments: