Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Whither 1981?

(Image from here.)

When Self Help Radio began, I thought of each show being a unique theme, nothing revisited, nothing repeated.  But within two months of doing the show, I realized I would probably do a Christmas show every year.  & then my birthday came around.

My birthday is January 20 - yes, inauguration day.  On my first birthday, Nixon became the President of the United States.  On my thirteenth, it was Reagan.  On & on.  More awful presidents have taken over the job on my birthday than good ones.  & this year will probably be the awfulest.

In 2003, I came up with the idea of, on my birthday, revisiting my favorite music from the year of my birth.  It was a cool idea & I kept with it, starting then at 1968 & arriving this year at (you guessed it) 1981.  The earlier shows, of course, didn't feature music I liked at that age - I barely remember any music I listened to in 1969, for instance, but rather featured music I have come to love from that year.  But we're getting closer.  At least two of the songs on the show tonight that I might play were songs I loved from the radio in 1981.  But most of them were still things I discovered later.

Personally I think it was an amazing year for music.  But you might not like the same things I like, so we'll just have to see.  Or hear.  The show's on tonight from 8-10 pm central, 9-11 pm eastern on 93.9 fm WLXU in Lexington, online at lexingtoncommunityradio.org everywhere.

Hope you'll come back to the past with me tonight!

No comments: