Monday, February 06, 2017

Pass On The Left, Motherfucker

These days I'm often driving from Fort Worth to Dallas to volunteer at KNON, & when I do, I take two main highways, Interstate Thirty (known as the "Tom Landry Highway" because of some sports person who wore a hat) & Interstate Seventy-Five (known as "Central Expressway" in Dallas, & also named after a terrible U.S. President).  Most of the time, I-30 is four lanes, but often it's three & in a few places, it's five.  Almost all the drivers refuse to pass on the left.  There are the people driving way too fast, weaving in & out of traffic, whom I hope one day to see in a fiery accident, the only victims of which are them & other speedy drivers who think their lives are more important than anyone else's.  They are too impatient to pass on the left, you see.

Most of the others, however, are people driving too slowly in the left lanes who, because everyone else passes on the right, don't know they're doing it wrong.  I myself drive mainly in the rightmost lane, & will in fact move into the right lane, even if I have to slow down to do so, to make some jerkwad who's driving too fast in the right lane have to pass me on the left.  This will probably get me killed one day, so it can be said I died for an idea.  A dumb, arbitrary one which will disappear once we get driverless cars, but an idea nonetheless.

Anyway, a whole rant was brewing inside of me about what the law was & how there's scientific data to back up the fact that people driving slowly on the left causes traffic jams, but someone else beat me to it (by nine years), & has links to some info.  Read her far more polite rant here.

This reminds me a friend in Kentucky who used to complain about the traffic there.  I miss the traffic in Kentucky.  Although if the average Kentucky driver had to navigate Texas highways, they'd be killed instantly.  Or they'd kill someone instantly.  Of this I am certain.

No comments: