Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Preface To In The Sky: High Time

Warning: what follows is probably of interest to nobody but the host of this radio show.

In conversation with a friend, once I told this friend that the theme of this week's show is "in the sky," this friend said to me, "Didn't you do a show about skies at some point?"

This is what I'm up against.  I know for a fact this friend doesn't really listen to my show.  In fact, this friend is only vaguely aware of my show, sometimes asking about it in passing just to be polite.  &, I might add, never impressed by the theme.

There's a show somewhat similar to mine in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, which I enjoy, even if sometimes I don't really like the themes that are covered.  For example, last week, since it came before the Oscars, the show featured Oscar-winning tunes.  Something I would never enjoy - I mean, this won the Oscar for best song in 2017, & I personally find it painful to listen to.  I would rather let rats eat my extremities than subject myself to that (or, I should add, the other nominees in the category).*

When I mentioned the theme to my friend, this was the response: "Oscar songs?  That's great!"

Oh how I often feel like Tantalus!

In any event, I went to my index of themes on my website, & discovered just one theme related to skies, which was blue skies, back in 2015.  I didn't feel like confronting my friend, but it didn't seem to me that the two themes overlapped.  There was not, for example, a song called "In The Blue Sky" which might also be applicable for this show.

But there you go.  Some people are friends despite being mostly disinterested in your life.  It happens.  The bonds that hold you together are older than what you turn into as you age.  & frankly, you just like the person.

In any event, my friend won't be listening to my show tomorrow night.  Maybe you will.

* Of course, you can like what you want to. I don't think my opinion is better than yours.

No comments: