Tuesday, March 06, 2018

Preface To Health: Blood Counts

At some point in time, in my forties, I started going to the doctor every six months for a check-up.  It seemed like the right thing to do & it made me pay more attention to myself.  Two of my siblings & my mother had diabetes, the others were not terribly healthy, who the fuck knows what genetic bullshit was waiting to be unleashed on me?  So I went to the doctor, usually a nurse practitioner in Lexington, & they told me to lose weight & I made sure the stuff they could find out from my blood was within normal parameters.

What I discovered over the years is that I am a little anemic - it's one of the hazards of being vegan, although I eat a shit ton of beans & leafy vegetables.  It's cool, I can dig it.

Living in Kentucky, with its seasons, caused me to have a vitamin D deficiency.  I'm told this is on the rise.  Even though I'm outside walking my dogs for almost two hours a day, my body doesn't seem to want to absorb it.  I did grow considerably paler there.

So I take iron pills & vitamin D pills.  Plus others.  I think I double up on the vitamin Bs, since that's also a traditional vegan lack.  Plus my wife makes me take glucosamine, even though I'm not sure the science is in on that.  But I give it to my dogs, why shouldn't I take it too?  Though it'd be better in something like a tofu chew.  Mmm, tofu chew.

In case you're wondering if the guy about to do a show about health is in fact in good health.  I mean, it's not like I'm in bad health.  I could stand to lose a few pounds.  I could exercise more, bring up the good cholesterol.  I could cut back on the whiskey.

But I am paying attention!  I suspect I will need to do more & more of this as I age.

No comments: