Monday, August 13, 2018

Growing Up In A Convenience Store

Here's another reason why I might be a terrible salesperson: I grew up in a convenience store.

My mother worked in a convenience store from around 1976 until 1987 or 1988, which doesn't seem like such a long time but that's basically most of my adolescence. From 8 years old to 20.  & I spent a good deal of time working or otherwise helping out - for a time, to give my mother & her boyfriend (who owned the store, although he acted like we owned it) time off, I'd open the store on Sunday mornings & work until 3 or so.  That was when I was in high school!

The thing is, you don't really have to try to sell anything in a convenience store.  People come in to get things they want - soda, smokes, snacks, whatever.  You may try to upsell - you know, ask if they need a lighter if they're buying cigarettes - but you hardly ever have to try to get them to buy something - that's why they're there!  No one goes into a convenience store to browse!

Now, imagine that being your training in the ways of commerce.  Wouldn't you imagine that that would be difficult for begging to people who can listen to your radio station for free?  They're there to consume but not to buy.  & I don't think I ever got any real instruction on how to sell something to someone who's used to getting it without paying.

Of course I'm thinking about this because I have to do it all over again tomorrow for KNON.  If you've listened to the Tuesday Morning Blend & you'd like to help, you could just go make a pledge online & forgive all the on-air pleading.  I don't enjoy it.  I wish people had the habit of coming to the radio expecting to pay a little for it.  All I know is it would be cheaper than the money you spend on soda, snacks, booze, whatever.

No comments: