Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Self Help Radio 011822: 1986

(All cover images from Discogs.)

& here it is: three hours of music from 1986.  It was a very important year of music for me (as I keep saying) & playing it & experiencing it for three hours was quite emotional for me.  & still I didn't play all my favorites!  I'm planning to revisit this in six months or so, there is so much more great music from 1986.

Anyway, the less I yammer on about it, the better.

You can listen to the show at both the KBOO website & at the Self Help Radio website.  As usual, if you choose the latter, remember the username (SHR) & the password (selfhelp) to access the files.  The things that happened on the show are noted below - songs & all.

Happy birthday to me!  I think I had a decent eighteenth year.  The soundtrack was aces.

Self Help Radio 1986 Show
"Greetings To The New Brunette" Billy Bragg _Talking With The Taxman About Poetry_
"Head Full Of Steam" The Go-Betweens _Liberty Belle & The Black Diamond Express_
"Haunted" The Pogues _Sid & Nancy: Love Kills (Music From The Motion Picture Soundtrack)_

introduction

"I Know It's Over" The Smiths _The Queen Is Dead_
"But Not Tonight" Depeche Mode _Black Celebration_
"I Want To Live" This Mortal Coil _Filigree & Shadow_
"If You Leave" Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark _If You Leave_
"Bizarre Love Triangle" New Order _Substance_

our favorite librarian Carole stops by to talk about books from 1986

"Jack Of All Parades" The Costello Show _King Of America_
"Kim The Waitress" Green Pajamas _Kim The Waitress_
"Paper Wraps Rock" Momus _Circus Maximus_
"Hate My Way" Throwing Muses _Throwing Muses_
"I Want You" Elvis Costello & The Attractions _Blood & Chocolate_

our resident cinephile Chuck talks about his favorite movies of 1986

"Soul In Isolation" The Chameleons _Strange Times_
"U.S. 80's-90's" The Fall _Bend Sinister_
"Rise" Public Image Ltd. _Album_
"Cities In Dust" Siouxsie & The Banshees _Tinderbox_
"Some Candy Talking" The Jesus & Mary Chain _Some Candy Talking EP_

people were born in 1986?!?

"Sad Waters" Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds _Your Funeral... My Trial_
"Star Power" Sonic Youth _Evol_
"Love's Easy Tears" Cocteau Twins _Love's Easy Tears_
"Gunning For The Buddha" Shriekback _Big Night Music_
"Gather Up Your Wings & Fly" Felt _Forever Breathes The Lonely Word_

a discussion of the C86 movement

"You Should Always Keep In Touch With Your Friends" The Wedding Present _You Should Always Keep In Touch With Your Friends_
"I Don't Wanna Be Friends With You" Shop Assistants _Shop Assistants_
"Really Stupid" The Primitives _Really Stupid_
"I Could Be In Heaven" The Flatmates _I Could Be In Heaven_
"Beatnik Boy" Talulah Gosh _Steaming Train EP_
"Going To Heaven To See If It Rains" The Close Lobsters _Going To Heaven To See If It Rains_

conclusion & goodbye

"Love Affair With Everyday Living" The Woodentops _Giant_
"Life's What You Make It" Talk Talk _The Colour Of Spring_
"All In My Mind" Love & Rockets _Express_
"City Of Dreams" Talking Heads _True Stories_

No comments: