Saturday, March 26, 2022

Two Very Different March 26ths

It may seem like a cheat, to use Saturdays on this blog to look back on pictures of this day, specifically ones I've taken, & aimlessly reminisce about them.  It may seem & it may be.  But nonetheless here are two pictures I took on March 26 in the past & they're in two different places, two thousand miles & two years apart.

On this day two year ago (though it feels like it's been a century), a terrible virus was making its presence known & people understandably panicked.  & I for some reason went to Costco, & saw this:


Those were weird times, when shelves were empty like it was North Korea, or a communist country in the 1970s.  I remember when they eventually got toilet paper & they allowed only one per customer, & I waited in line for it.  Just two years ago.  Imagine.

The other picture was taken on this day in 2018 in Fort Worth, Texas, in my backyard.  I would occasionally see a beautiful woodpecker come down & take a bite from my bird feeder.  & on this day I would take perhaps the best picture of him ever:



There is so very much I don't know about birds, but I remember looking this fellow up & confirming with my next-door neighbors.  I seem to remember it being a red-bellied woodpecker.  That links suggests I was right.  I would've loved a yard full of them.

We have yet to set up a bird feeder here in Portland.  I am not sure why that is.

No comments: