Sunday, October 09, 2022

Preface To Trampoline: The Actual Anniversary


Exactly twenty years ago today, I left my work at the University of Texas around noon to take a bus to KOOP radio in downtown Austin.  I had been volunteering at KOOP for almost two years & had despaired of ever getting a radio show there.  In fact, I had been given a Friday morning 9-10am show at first, but, well - I think I've told the story here before - have I?  I kind of allude to it in this post from ten years ago, but I've never quite told the whole story.  Suffice it to say, a deal was worked out & on October 9, 2002, I programmed the very first Self Help Radio.

My first "logo" was the one above, a picture of an old lady listening (I think) to the radio.  It was taken from an old psychology textbook I found in the hallway one time which I used to use for all kinds of web stuff I did in the 1990s.  It would never have occurred to me to actually design my own logo.  Like I've said previously, I wasn't even sure I was going to be doing this show for very long.

One thing is true: I think I have recordings of all the shows I did, or tried to do.  I very rarely recorded my college radio shows & I am sad about that.  Although I do remember when I did record them, I was very self-conscious that I was recording them & it made me not enjoy the show as much as when I didn't record them.  In any event, although they are not all digitized, I have recordings of pretty much every Self Help Radio I've done.  Give or take one or two.  Or eleven.

Did I celebrate the anniversary?  In my own way - working on tomorrow's show.  Which I need to get back to.  But twenty years, that's a milestone, & I am amazed I've made it.  Let's see how long I can continue into the dumb future.

No comments: