Friday, February 17, 2023

New Computer Woes

(I miss my Mac SE. Image from here.)

This is a completely dumb middle class problem but - I just got a new computer - & so many of my old fucking apps no longer work on it. These include applications that are essential for making radio shows - since I not only record at least one of them from home (The Dickenbock Report) but I also record funny people & use those recordings as interviews for Self Help Radio.  & it has been fucking exhausting trying to figure out what works & doesn't & then trying to research if I can get a decent replacement.

The first hard thing is transferring over all the data. That is fourteen hours of work - not work I have to do, but what am I supposed to do with my time while it's happening?  Not using a computer, that's what!

Then it's time to see what has transpired in the let's see oh no TEN YEARS?!? since I had a new computer. Hey developers, why don't you think of programs written in 2012 when you make your new computers? Why do we have to update? They were just grand - imagine how amazing they'd be when they're as fast as the new computer is? But nope!

& something else - I got my first computer in 1993 & was online at the end of that year. I don't want to use applications based on the web. Yes, I get it, I have email on the web, & social media on the web, but editing sound on a web-based app? Holy shit why? What if their stupid website goes down? Please just let me have the application on the computer. With the files too. I don't want to keep my files somewhere else. I know they're just dumb electron things but as someone smarter than me once said, "The cloud is just someone else's computer." I paid a lot of money so I could have space on my computer for my electron things.

Anyway, this could become what the British call a "proper whinge" but I'm too tired. Just so tired. & I'm going out tonight. & when I come back I'll see what needs to be done. & hope I can do some work tomorrow. & I know I'm going to walk in downtown Portland past people sleeping in the streets & they would love to have to fret over setting up a new computer instead of you know finding shelter in the cold weather, among other things.

& this tempers my frustration & weariness. Until I discover I have to do something with security settings to make something work & then I'm bouncing my head off my desk as the only logical reaction to the stupidity of it all. Do people who make computers use them? Have they ever had to upgrade from one computer to another?

Etc.

No comments: