Wednesday, June 07, 2023

Preface To Perfume: Have I Seen This Movie?

(image from the IMDb)

It will probably not surprise you if, during the course of tomorrow's episode of Self Help Radio, there are samples from the movie "Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer," from 2006, directed by Tom Tykwer & starring Dustin Hoffman. It is about perfume after all.

There were a couple of great quotes from the movie that I found. But while I was watching (re-watching?) the film to get the quotes, I had the sensation that I had actually never seen the movie before. But I know I had. I have a memory of talking to someone about it at work after I watched it - maybe she even recommended it to me. Even though I no longer get DVDs from Netflix (& they don't send them anymore), I kept a copy of the films I rented from them & I have a record of getting the film in the summer of 2007.

But except for a couple of things, possibly sparked by searching for suitable quotes, I have absolutely no memory of the movie. That's a fascinating thing, isn't it? To have spent two hours with a movie & discussed it with someone & have nothing you can recall.

Now I know I've had thousands of conversation with people I will never remember (the conversations I mean, but certainly in many cases the people), but it seems like movies, in their easy-to-digest two-hour packages, are designed to be at least a little memorable. I think I enjoyed the movie. Apparently I didn't enjoy it enough for it to have a place in my brain.

Which come to think of it probably how most people think of Self Help Radio.

No comments: