Tuesday, September 05, 2023

Stairs To Nowhere


It's been a few years since I started taking pictures on dog walks & other adventures with an admittedly crappy digital camera. ("Why do you have that when you have a phone?" is a question I get asked a lot.) On days like today when I have nothing radio to talk about (as if I ever really have anything radio to talk about), I like to go back through the photos I've saved on this day & see if they spark any memories.

This one is from 2014 & I think it was taken in Lexington. We went to some festival & these were shots I took somewhere on the city's north side. It was a part of town I didn't much get to, & I wouldn't have thought about that day much at all if it weren't for these pictures. So hooray for a kind of diary they serve as for me!

Abandoned places fascinate me. I told the wife today that if I had a lot of money I'd just buy lots of houses in places where the property values are low. They'd be terrible investments as I wouldn't really want to develop them, just let them sit there & exist, but I'd still have to pay property taxes & also deal with angry neighbors, but there's a certain beauty to dilapidation & ruin.

First I'd give a lot of money to radio stations, of course. But if I had a lot left over, yeah, I'd own places where the stairs didn't go anywhere.

No comments: