Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Preface To Valentine's Day 2024 - Falling In Love: Falling In Love, The Comic

(image from here)

Wow, according to the DC Database, Falling In Love was a romance comic that ran from 1955 to 1973. It looks like issue one - which had four stories, "Dream Love," "Unhappy Birthday," "How Did I Lose You," & "Flight To Heartbreak" - was published by the Arleigh Publishing Group, which was a division of National Periodical Publications aka DC Comics. Issue 10 had the logo "National Romance Group" in the upper left hand corner. Issue 50 - the May 1962 issue - finally had the DC logo, which it kept till the end.

How do I know this? Do I secretly collect romance comics? I don't. I don't think I have read a single one all the way through. But you can at the Read Comics Online website! (That link goes directly to all 143 issues of Falling In Love.)

But sometimes I wish I did know more about these kinds of comics. At one point they were quite profitable - there were dozens on the newsstand every month. Since they didn't print credits I don't know who wrote or drew them - although of course smarter, sharper people than myself can & have guessed. They seem to have gone out of style in the early 1970s. & really never came back.

From a comic about falling in love to a radio show about falling in love - & almost a week from Valentine's Day!

No comments: