Monday, March 04, 2024

Tired


(Don't know where the shirt is from, but you can buy it here.)

After I left Austin in 2009, I wasn't sure I would be able to do radio again. I was already doing Self Help Radio as a "podcast" although I didn't really call it that & didn't make it available where podcasts can be found. It's always been an obscure thing this show.

From West Virginia to Lexington to Fort Worth, I did find places to deejay, but there were times when I wasn't able to do Self Help Radio for some reason or another. & when I'd land in another place, there was always a break - sometimes it was months! - when I wasn't on the radio at all.

Arriving in Portland & finding out there were three stations at which I could deejay - I was like a kid in a candy store. & around this time last year I committed to doing three different shows on three different stations.

& I volunteer a lot at these stations & often people ask me if I am in danger of "burning out." They rightly worry that I am overcommitted. But here's the truth: I'm having the time of my life. I am having fun making radio shows & the work I am doing for the stations I really enjoy. But lately - well, let me tell you a story.

Last week I was searching around for a theme for an upcoming show - this would be the show a month away - I was putting it on the web page, which is when it becomes real to me. & the theme that came to mind was "tired." I realized that I've been a little tired.

Over the weekend I wondered what I should do. Maybe I'll talk later about my sleep difficulties. But certainly the fact that if I am not walking dogs, making food, eating food, or doing those & other things with my wife, I am working on a radio show or doing a radio show. I have to face the fact that if I ever had youthful energy, I don't have that these days.

Which is a longwinded way of saying I am thinking of downsizing. But how? What show? I don't know. I imagine I'll still be involved in all the stations, it's just that I might not be doing radio shows on all the stations in the near future.

The kid in the candy store gets rotten teeth & diabetes. How could the little brat not?

No comments: