Sunday, April 24, 2011

Preface To Indiepop A To Z # 31: This Is Only A Text

One of the things I like to do when I do Sugar Substitute, which is the pop show after Self Help Radio, is playing instrumental music under my airbreaks, & I especially want to play music by people (living or dead) who are having a birthday the day of the show. Usually there are helpful sites, like this jazz birthdays web page, & of course Wikipedia, which give me names to look at for those days. But assuming that I keep doing Sugar Substitute for many years to come - not a guarantee, by why not? - I don't really want to play the same songs by the same birthday people as the years go by. There are not-very-good radio shows in Austin that used to do that. Hooray, it's a famous rock & roll star's birthday again. Whoop de doo. Bleh.

The biggest trouble is that many bands I love, including electronica artists, just aren't famous enough to warrant a personal page (as opposed to a band page) on the Wikipedia. Take this page for one of my favorite bands, The Lucksmiths - it lists the members, but not their birthdays. Oh, but when I looked at their own website, it does mention their birthdays. Okay, bad example. The point is, it's hard!

In case you're reading this unimportant whinge, & you know a decent web site that lists indie &/or electronica birthdays, can you comment here or send me an email at my Self Help Radio email? That would be swell.

No comments: