Saturday, September 08, 2012

Preface To Expectations: Stress Cold

This article - from 1998, in the New York times - though rather old - confirms what I expected - which seems apropos, since this week's show is about expectations.

I have had a cold brewing for a while now, & my stress levels have been high for a few weeks, & having to worry about & care for an old dog seem to have let the cold germs in.

It makes me want to ask, "Why haven't we cured the common cold?"

I was content, for the last twenty-four hours, to let it run its course - & was feeling that I'd just sleep for a day.  But the wife decided to get me medicine - including that strange concoction called NyQuil, which is about as old as I am, & which has been with me my entire life.  & when I take medicine - & by the way, I'm all for medicine over pseudoscientific potions & the like - when I take medicine, I forget how effective medicine is.

This hasn't been a terrible cold.  I don't (yet) have a runny nose or a terrible cough.  But I did sleep half the day & I have been sucking cough drops since yesterday, so my mouth feels like it's filled with vaguely cherry-tasting phlegm.

I'm working on my show, though.  My expectation is that I'll have it finished.  At least I expect to.

No comments: