Monday, October 20, 2014

The Weather Turns

I've probably observed/complained here before that I now live in a place where it's cold much more often than it's hot.  Having grown up in Texas, & spent most of that time in Austin, I am used to the opposite.  Austin has a fitful winter, which is often interrupted with warm spells, & a truncated autumn & spring.  Lexington (where I now live) tends to have a spring that slowly frees itself from the icy muck of winter & then casually waits around for summer to get started.

But autumn officially began last month & the idea of it has taken hold.  I write this with a window to my left, & out of the corner of my eye I can see the occasional yellow leaf fall.  The trees here are still mainly green, but there are those that have embraced the autumn colors of red, orange, yellow, & a few that have already dumped their leaves for the winter.

& it's colder.  This week it'll get no higher than 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  Just like the house gets warmer when it's warmer outside, it gets colder in here when the nights are below 40 degrees,

But the reason this is on my mind is not because I think you're interested in the weather, or even my banal observations about differences in geography.  It's because - well, here, let me show you.  This is what my left hand looks like right now:



(I couldn't take a picture of both hands because one had to hold the camera, but my right hand is equally attired.)

I am not a beggar on the cold streets of London - I am a person whose hands are freezing.

That was the most fascinating thing about living in this part of the world - it gets cold in your house during the winter, & one's extremities get cold.  When we first moved here - the first season in this clime - I suffered through the entire winter with frozen hands.  My arms, legs, feet, even head, I could keep covered, but as long as I was tapping on my computer, my hands were exposed & it was cold.

& generally speaking, it's hard to use a keyboard in mittens or your average winter gloves.  It was probably the wife who suggested these - probably after watching me try to warm my hands by sitting on them, or, worse, putting them down my pants.  To warm them, I mean.  Anyway.

(My fingers are still cold.)

The summer seems short now, but there were days when the heat & humidity were pretty unbearable.  All of that now is so very far away - we have at least six months now of mainly cold, cold weather, with the prospect of a crippling winter & the return of the polar vortex on the grey horizon.

My dumb point is this: when the weather turns around here, it doesn't turn back.  Not for a while.

No comments: