Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Preface To Los Angeles: Twelve Things

1) I haven't watched David Letterman in years.  But I'm going to miss David Letterman.

2) That has nothing to do with Los Angeles, I just read that article & started to feel sad.

3) I think I've done this list thing on my blog before - you know, number sentences that seem like a list but really aren't a list.  I probably got the idea from a short story by Donald Barthelme.

4) Here's a crazy thing: when I first discovered Barthelme, he was not only still alive (though dying of throat cancer) but just a hop, skip, & a jump away from where I was living, in Austin.  He was living (& teaching) in Houston.

5) I had a girlfriend whose parents lived in Houston at the time.  I went there with her a couple of times.  I might even have driven by his home or a hospital he was in.

6) I haven't read a Donald Barthelme story in a long time, either, but I am sad that he is gone.  He would have written some amazingly creative shit.

7) I don't mean to be equating David Letterman with Donald Barthelme or anything.  I thought of writing down things I was interested in/worried about/excited for in Los Angeles, where I will be living in less than a month, & before I started to type, someone on Facebook linked to that article, & it waylaid me.

8) Or derailed me.

9) Another interesting coincidence: I'm leaving Lexington around the same time the Letterman does his last show.

10) Wouldn't it be cool if it were around the same time Donald Barthelme had been born or died?  But that's not the case.

11) I'm certainly not lucky enough to have something like that help me tie up one of my dumb blog entries.

12) You know?

No comments: