Friday, May 01, 2015

Self Help Radio 050115: Los Angeles

(Original image here.)

& that's it!  My last Self Help Radio at WRFL.  I am leaving soon for Los Angeles - the City of Angels - La-La Land - & so I did a show about Los Angeles.  I am guessing there were more anti-L.A. songs than pro-L.A. songs - but the town appears to be a place people love to hate.  For me, well - it's time for another adventure!

At the end of the show, I thanked a bunch of folks & it makes sense for me to do it here, too.

I thank WRFL for letting me play on the air for the time they did - I came to the station in July 2010 - & never was I made to feel unwelcome.  I met so many great people.  I had so much fun.  It's a marvelous place & I will miss it a great deal.

I thank the listeners of WRFL.  This town is full of people fiercely loyal to the station - & full of old timers (heck! people my own age!) who remember the struggle to get the station on the air.  It makes them feel like the station is one of their own.

I thank the funny friends I have who help me out with fake interviews.  David, Russell, & Mark have been my mainstays for a long time - it's easy to do a radio show when you have people way funnier than you to "interview."  I hope they'll continue to play with me when I'm in Los Angeles!  There have been other folks - my wife Magda was awesome as Werful, the monster who lives under WRFL.  & people like Allen, Nick, Suloni, Macy & Maria have at one time or another filled in & had fun.  They're all invited to L.A. with me!

I hope I can find a suitable radio station there to do my dumb show.  I love to play music that most of the world hasn't heard & I love the artists that I play for being so great despite the horrible monolithic music industry.  I wish that industry would go away already.  Wasn't the Internet supposed to destroy it by now?

The show is available any time you want to listen to it at the Self Help Radio website.  From here to L.A. & back!  You are required to enter a username & a password - those are available on the site.  The songs I played are below.

Thanks for listening!  There'll be a new Self Help Radio in June, I promise!

(part one)

"Los Angeles Blues" Peggy Lee _Blues Cross Country_
"Take Me To Los Angeles" Jimmy Soul _Jerk! Shake! & Vibrate!_
"L.A." Jackie De Shannon _Laurel Canyon_

"Hello L.A., Bye-Bye Birmingham" John Randolph Marr _Country Funk 1969 - 1975_
"Funky L.A." Paul Humphrey _Paul Humphrey & The Cool-Aid Chemists_
"L.A. Blues" The Stooges _Fun House_

"The World Began In Eden But Ended In Los Angeles" Phil Ochs _Rehearsals For Retirement_
"L.A." Neil Young _Time Fades Away_
"Men's Room, LA" Kinky Friedman _Old Testaments & New Revelations_
"I Love L.A." Randy Newman _Trouble In Paradise_
"L.A., L.A." Translator _No Time Like Now_

"L.A. (My Town)" The Four Tops _The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 12: 1972_
"Los Angeles" The Egyptian Lover _One Track Mind_

(part two)

"Drinking In LA" Bran Van 3000 _Glee_
"Everyone Is Someone In LA" Felix Da Housecat _Devin Dazzle & The Neon Fever_

"Goodbye You Lizard Scum" Bill Hicks _Arizona Bay_
"L.A." The Fall _458489 A Sides_
"Los Angeles" Lewis Black _The White Album_
"Los Angeles, I'm Yours" The Decemberists _Her Majesty_

"First Of The Gang To Die" Morrissey _You Are The Quarry_
"Moving To LA" Art Brut _Bang Bang Rock & Roll_
"Ode To L.A." The Raveonettes _Pretty In Black_
"L.A., CA, USA" Stereo Total _Monokini_

"L.A. Woman" D.O.A. _Greatest Shits_

No comments: