Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Why There Won't Be A Self Help Radio Podcast This Week (Excuse # 2)

Yesterday I listed four excuses why there won't be a Self Help Radio podcast this week.  To remind you, they were:

Excuse # 1) I am going to visit my mother in Dallas.
Excuse # 2) I got sick.
Excuse # 3) I am a terrible planner in general.
Excuse # 4) What the hell was I thinking?  (The self-pity excuse.)

Today I will explain excuse number two.

As soon as I finished Friday's show (still available at the SHR website), I set to work on the next week's show.  I had already recorded an interview with David Fruchter, & I had about eighty to hundred songs I had gathered to listen to, some of which I did in fact listen to on Friday.

But I don't just work on my radio show - that would make me a duller boy than I already am.  No, I oftentimes cater to the needs of my dogs.  On Saturday we drove to Shaker Village to take the dogs on a nice long walk down to the Kentucky River.

Here's something that I've heard about living in Kentucky: if you don't have allergies when you get here, you'll probably have them before you leave.  During the walk, I sneezed a lot.  My nose ran.  I began to get the sneaking suspicion that I was, in fact, the unhappy recipient of the Bluegrass State's gift of allergies.  But as we made our way back to the car, after a delightful walk, I began to feel tell-tale congestion in my head.  Oh no!  I was getting a cold!

It made sense.  Back in Texas, I always got a cold in the spring when the temperature was erratic.  My body hates it when it's 50 degrees one day then 90 the next.  (In Texas, that happens in the summer when it's 100 outside & 65 degrees indoors.)  When we got home, I prepared myself for my personal cold remedy: take lots of sudafed-type drugs, & sleep.

I basically slept 24 hours.  How could I work on a podcast during that time?

I'm better now - my cold remedy works, & I was lucky this was a mild case & I caught it at the beginning.  But surely if I had planned better, I'd still be able to make a podcast, right?  Right?

I'll have more to say about that tomorrow.

No comments: