Thursday, May 28, 2015

Why There Won't Be A Self Help Radio Podcast This Week (Excuse # 4)

I know that doing the sort of radio show I do is an inherently (& obviously) narcissistic pastime, but boy! this week's blog offerings have been some serious navel-gazing shit.  My god.

All right.  If you will recall.  On Monday, I proffered four excuses to explain the absence of a promised Self Help Radio podcast this Friday.  I gave those excuses as:

Excuse # 1) I am going to visit my mother in Dallas.
Excuse # 2) I got sick.
Excuse # 3) I am a terrible planner in general.
Excuse # 4) What the hell was I thinking?  (The self-pity excuse.)

The truth is, I really wanted four excuses so I could fill up four days but it turns out that there were just three.  Maybe two, but yesterday's, though something of a stretch, was tolerably valid.  I am a bad planner.  My first couple of years of Self Help Radio were haphazard affairs.  But I am of the opinion I've never really gotten the show right, so I'm naturally hard on myself.

Anyway, the fourth excuse I pulled out of my ass.  I never had four excuses.  I plan poorly, I was going to be away a week, & I had a minor cold that was the nail in the coffin of an impossible idea.

Do you know what I've seen in Dallas that I've never really seen before?  Pick-up trucks hauling dumpsters.  Let me paint a picture.  These are rather well-used (though not beaten-up) Ford pick-up trucks with a small trailer attached on which is an average-sized dumpster.  I have seen three of these, & all of the dumpsters have been branded with the same dumpster company logo, so I assume the company has contracted out individuals with Ford trucks to move garbage receptacles around the Metroplex.  One truck had the end-times slogan "Prepare To Meet God!" painted on the truck's cab window, which made me wonder if the dumpster in tow was some kind of punctuation.

It's been humid as hell here, but it's also been more rainy here than is natural, which is good, as the lakes are filled & the city can delay the inevitable talk of drought until mid-July.  I've seen more family than I usually do, which has been a little exhausting, but I always eat well here.  I've having Ethiopian for lunch.  That means it will be a good day.

But there won't be a Self Help Radio podcast tomorrow.  My excuses are lame.  I'll get back on the horse next week.  Promise!

No really, I promise.  I do.  You can trust me...  Oh never mind,

No comments: