Saturday, April 16, 2016

Cradle To Grave, Episode Nineteen


Oh, the first "live" episode of Cradle To Grave was a mess.  Inside the building (which is a high school) which houses Lexington's community radio station is actually two stations: WLXL & WLXU.  WLXU just went on the air.  I misunderstood a communication with the station that I would remain on WLXL when I moved, when obviously space had opened up during the week on the new station.  So I chatted amiably with station staff until I noticed the show on WLXL was not ending - at which point, I asked - a bit too late - if I were still on the schedule.

That's why you'll hear me correct myself, saying WLXL instead of WLXU a couple of times.

Then there's the whole issue of getting used to a new station.  One radio control board looks about the same as the other, & works the same (I've used about five different ones at four different stations), but you still have to get used to how the channels are marked, where things in the deejay booth are located, all that.  For example: I usually stand when I do my shows.  The deejay booth at WLXU is designed for the deejay to sit, not to stand, in.  There's a different vibe one gets when one is sitting when one is on the air.  I've found.

At one point, while I was talking, my mind wandered, & I read the facts about one artist I was featuring incorrectly.  So embarrassing.  I complain that I was tired on the air, but the truth is, I was a little baffled.  I was nervous, confused, befuddled, & lost.  It gets a little better, I think, in the second hour - I hope, I haven't listened to the show - but it's still quite a mess.

The music is great, though!  Lots of births to celebrate & deaths to commemorate for Tax Day!  You can listen to the show (if you want to after that introduction) at the Self Help Radio website.  You can see the songs I play below.  You can hope I get used to do this show live, so it becomes actually listenable!

(birthdays)

"St. Louis Blues" Bessie Smith _Louis Armstrong & The Blues Singers_
"Washboard Blues" Casper Reardon & His Group _The Big Broadcast, Vol. 8: Jazz & Popular Music Of The 1920s & 1930s_
"The Swing Session Is Called To Order" Mezz Mezzrow & His Orchestra _Mezz Mezzrow 1936-1939_
"The Friar & Dr. Goulding" Herb Pomeroy & His Orchestra _Band In Boston_
"Bourbon Street Parade" Young Tuxedo Brass Band _Jazz Begins_

"Gonna Make You Mine" Frank Frost _Harmonica Blues Benders_
"Winehead Baby" Little Sonny James _Mardi Gras Blues_
"Red Hot" Bob Luman _Rockin' Bones: 1950's Punk & Rockabilly_
"Twelfth Street Rag" Roy Clark _The Lightning Fingers Of Roy Clark_
"Ramona" The Blue Diamonds _ Always... The Blue Diamonds_

"Banana Boy" Eden Ahbez _Eden's Island_
"Sweet Dreams (Of You)" Mighty Sam McClain _The Amy Records Sessions (1966-1969)_
"Sweet Thing" Van Morrison _Astral Weeks_
"Medicine Man" Barclay James Harvest _Barclay James Harvest & Other Short Stories_
"Girls Talk" Dave Edmunds _The Best Of Dave Edmunds_

(death anniversaries)

"The Boogie Woogie" Cleo Brown _Boogie Woogie_
"My Blue Heaven" Kid Thomas & His Algiers Stompers _Best Of Jazz Crusade_
"Tanga (Part 1)" Machito & His Afro-Cuban Orchestra _The Roots Of Funk 1947-1962_
"Wild, Wild Young Men" Rose Maddox _Whistle Bait!_
"Just A Dream I Got On My Mind" Dewey Corley & Walter Miller _The George Mitchell Collection_

"Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" The Ramones _Hey! Ho! Let's Go: The Anthology_
"Judy In Disguise (With Glasses)" John Fred & His Playboy Band _Judy In Disguise With Glasses_
"Dirty Robber" The Wailers _The Fabulous Wailers_
"My L.A." Tacey Robbins & The Vendells _Girls In The Garage, Vol. 6_
"The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack" The Nice "The Thoughts Of Emerlist Davjack_

"My Pal Foot Foot" The Shaggs _The Shaggs_
"Peanuts" Little Joe Cook & The Thrillers _Peanuts_
"Mellow Chick Swing" Sean Costello _Cuttin' In_
"I'm Qualified" Jimmy Hughes _The Birth Of Soul, Vol. 1_
"Woman Of The Ghetto" Phyllis Dillon _Funky Kingston: Reggae Dancefloor Grooves 1968-1974_

"The Real Sheila" Game Theory _Lolita Nation_

No comments: