Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Whither Laws?

(I found that image here.)

In the middle of the week, I go shopping for food for the cooking I'll do over the next seven days.  I don't go to just one place - it's usually three, maybe four.  It takes me a couple of hours, & my wife slowly found other things to do (like "work") so she doesn't have to accompany me, which is fine - she dawdles.  Plus, she doesn't know where anything is in these stores whose layouts I have mastered.  Since I'm alone, I need to find something to listen to as I drive around town, & if it's not something new I'm obsessing about, I grab a random CD from my collection that I haven't listened to in ages.

A few weeks back, I lazily grabbed a fine collection of singles by the band Mighty Mighty.  The first song I ever heard from them was from a discounted double LP of British independent singles from 1987 or so.  (It found its way to Austin, Texas, probably thanks to an enterprising employee of Waterloo Records, but, no one showing interest in it, its $21.99 mark-up was reduced to a delightful $3.99, almost as if just for me.)  The song was the lovely "Built Like A Car", which is still one of the catchiest songs ever recorded.

As I drove, I was reminded of how great a band they were, & especially I was reminded of the song that ended up on the legendary C-86 collection, "Law."  It made me wonder, as I listened to it more than once, how many songs there were out there about laws.  & not just laws that humans made for cops to enforce, but what about laws of physics, or heck, even religious laws.  That was the genesis of this show.  So, thanks Mighty Mighty!

Now you have some background as to why, from 4-6 pm today, on 88.1 fm WRFL, wrfl dot fm, there'll be a show about laws airing.  I'm not going to say it's illegal to listen, but why take the chance?  See you there!

No comments: