Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Whither Scottish Pop (Again)?

(This is from Wikipedia.)

To make something very clear: I actually didn't visit any record stores when I was in Scotland.  Did I mention it?  I was in Scotland for a week!  Anyway, none of the music I will play today is from magical "finds" made in dark Edinburgh basements.  This is all music I have loved for a very long time, put under a theme ("Scottish pop") & played hopefully in an enjoyable way.

& as I explained yesterday, I have sort of done this before.  What I wanted to do on this show, was play the non-Scottish song, "Scottish Pop," by Spearmint, which you can listen to here, in which the singer namechecks several Scottish musicians/bands:

The Secret Goldfish, Edwyn C,
Nectarine No. 9, Bobby G...

Stephen Pastel, Raymond McGinley
Adventures In Stereo, Emma P,
Stuart Murdoch, Duglas T

These are truly giants of Scottish music.  In case you don't know, Edwyn C is Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice, Bobby G is Bobby Gillespie of Primal Scream, Stephen Pastel is the patriarch of the Pastels, Raymond McGinley is from Teenage Fanclub, Emma P is Emma Pollock of the Delgados, Stuart Murdoch is from Belle & Sebastian, & Duglas T is Duglas T. Stewart of BMX Bandits.  Most of these artists date from around the time of the Spearmint song, but as I started gathering music, I was finding that there was so much Scottish pop in the 1980s, that I abandoned my idea to base it around the Spearmint song.  Instead, my focus was going to be music much earlier.

No Scottish pop post 1980s?  That means no Secret Goldfish, Nectarine No. 9, Teenage Fanclub, Adventures In Stereo, Delgados, or Belle & Sebastian!  Oh no!  Yeah, so maybe my obsessive-compulsive self will feel like continuing the series into the 1990s.

As it stands, actually, I might not even get to bands from 1987!  You can find out how it goes by listening to Self Help Radio today from 4-6pm on 88.1 fm WRFL Lexington, wrfl dot fm online.  It won't be much more than me & music, so don't expect any bells & whistles or even fake Scottish accents.  Just lots & lots of Scottish pop!

No comments: