Monday, July 11, 2016

Preface To The Wild Show: Wild On Radio

(Image from here.)

Do you watch travel shows?  I can't say that I have.  But I do remember flipping channels in the early 00s & seeing this show on the E Network, probably while waiting for Talk Soup to come on.  Or maybe I watched segments of it back in the late 90s because boy Jules Asner was cute.  (I don't know who that is up there.)

One reason I couldn't stomach those kinds of shows is because I knew that, when I traveled, I was more likely to sleep in my car than in a five star hotel.  In fact, up until I turned 30 or so, that's exactly what I did.  It would've been weird for me to pay for a place to sleep while on the road (since there was doubtless one, usually a friend's house, at my destination), & there was a perfectly good car right there for anyone to sleep in.  Boy, though, do cars get cold at night!

Would you consider "Wild On" a reality show?  Because I've never sat through one of those intentionally my entire life, either.  Once I remember going to a place with my girlfriend's grad student friends because they were watching some show about a hotel on an island or something.  Having known funny people in my life (some of whom actually help on SHR) who watch terrible movies or television  partly in order to mercilessly mock them (something I don't generally enjoy, but which was worth it for being around such hilarious people), I expected there to be some kind of celebration of irony, derision of the awful people involved, but everyone there was actually emotionally invested in the "reality" of the island hotel boat or whatever.  I spent the evening sitting outside, smoking, & chatting with the dog.

Actually, I think that someone gave me a CD before I went to Europe that had travel programs about London & Paris.  Who was that?  I didn't watch them.  I don't think I ever considered watching them. Wow!  Now I feel like a dick!

It's hard to learn when the best time is be up front with people about your - what would I call them? predilections? idiosyncrasies? habits?  To tell them, no, I don't really enjoy this or that sort of thing, sorry.  But thank you!

It's ultimately an isolating thing, this definition of self.  It may be part of introversion, actually.  Unless one's definition of self is more adventurous, more accepting, less limiting.  In which case it could be part of extroversion.  Hm.  I'll think on it some more.

No comments: