Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Whither Ferris Wheels?

(The ferris wheel at the Fort Worth Stock Show & Rodeo, which I didn't ride.  Picture taken in January.)

Talking to a friend about my show recently, he said, "You're such a purist."  The occasion was me complaining about there being so very few songs - or I should say good songs - or perhaps I should say songs I like - about ferris wheels.  He mentioned the song "Baby Can Dance" by Tin Machine, in which Bowie sings, "I'm rolling out of the ferris wheel..."  But the song isn't technically about ferris wheels.  My friend, shaking his head (I assume, since we were talking on the phone), made his comment & implied I enjoy making this whole process difficult for myself.  But maybe I like a challenge?

Still, some challenges are more challenging than others, & for this show, I did have to dig deep.  I almost - almost - got to the point where I might have to play carnival songs, but in only one case - you'll hear it tonight - did I find a song that I will play where the ferris wheel wasn't the song's focus - & that's just because the ferris wheel is mentioned a lot.

You don't care about any of this, but it's just my way of saying that I commit to a theme & I see it through.  You will hear that tonight, if you listen, from 9-11pm eastern, 8-10pm central, on 93.9 fm WLXU in Lexington town, & online.  Everywhere.  It's safe!  It's fun!  It's a show about ferris wheels!

No comments: