Monday, July 10, 2017

Speaking Of Traffic

This happened yesterday in Fort Worth.

Someone who knows better than I do must tell me why certain places are more prone to severe weather.  I was dropping someone off at the airport & drove toward the city which looked as though some Tolkien-level evil was about to descend.  On the highway, the rain came at the car horizontally,
accompanied by hail, & people stopped, or drove slowly, or sought refuge under overpasses.

Foolishly I drove through some water but our plucky Prius was up to the task.  I waited the storm out under a business' carport - not much help, because as I pointed out, the rain & hail were being blown sideways into the car - I tried to get out to take a look - & pictures - but was soaked just cracking the door.

My journey home was through side streets, since, as the article above points out, some main roads were impassable.  When I got home, my animals were safe, the car didn't appear to have hail damage, & the only casualties were two tree limbs from two of our pecan trees which, fortunately, did not fall near the house.

Boy did I feel guilty about not being with my pups.  Winston, who just turned ten, is quite frightened by storms.  I hope the others comforted him.

But speaking of traffic - except for the giant truck behind me that kept honking at me to move along on the highway, everyone behaved quite well, slowing down with visibility was nonexistent, & mostly not being dicks.  I'm not sure if I had been stuck in-between cars & rising water that I'd not freak out, but certainly being in terrible weather keeps one on one's toes.

I'm telling you, it was harrowing.

No comments: