Sunday, February 18, 2018

Thanks To You

At this point in time, I'm not sure if the other radio show I do, the Tuesday Morning Blend, will this week be another Pledge Drive show, because as I write the station is so very near its goal, but whether I have to beg on the air one more week (I will certainly have to do it again in May), I have many people to thank for it being a successful one for me & the station, even though the first two shows I did as the Tuesday Morning Blend were Pledge Drive shows.

& thank people I shall, on the air & here on the blog, as soon as I have a list of people to thank.  Wait, I don't have a list?  Not right now.  Sorry.  That may seem lame, as I did thank them on the air during the show, but in the hustle & bustle of the paperwork at the end of each show, it didn't occur to me until too late to just write names down so I'd know whom to thank whenever.  That's my bad & I'm sorry.

Back in the day, the last time I did Pledge Drive, at KOOP in Austin -

I was going to say something else, but let me tell you a brief anecdote.  At a recent KNON benefit at which I was volunteering, someone asked me about my past radio experience in Austin, & I said that yes, I have volunteered before at K-O-O-P.  I spelled out the call letters as one might do for a legal ID, although most of us usually just said KOOP, like co-op.  The station was supposed to be cooperatively run.

But the person I was talking to said, "Ah, yes, of course, KOOP" - KOOP rhyming with "poop."

Old-timers at KOOP hated when people said KOOP like "coop."  In fact, they insisted that we put a period in between the two Os on all official documentation, including bumper stickers & the like.  It would read KO.OP 91.7 fm.

Some disagreed.  I was one of them.  I myself never said "KOOP" like coop because I know it was supposed to be co-op.  But people who never heard the station - because no one on the air ever said it like "coop" - well, they generally didn't know the nature of the name, as they never really heard the station, just saw the call letters & pronounced it like they heard it in their head.  That's how we knew we were talking to a listener or not.  It was handy.

Of course I corrected the guy I was talking to, but he had given himself away.  He may have heard of KOOP, but he never actually heard the station.  Which is cool, I didn't judge him or anything.

End of digression.

- the last time I did a Pledge Drive, at KOOP in Austin, I did terribly.  I don't know why, the time the show was on, the smaller listening audience, my own inexperience, no one actually liking my show, I can't be sure, but past experience made me feel like I was not going to do terribly well this time around.  & that didn't happen.  I did pretty well.  Certainly better than I thought.

& that's all thanks to you, the folks who pledged.  Whose names I will share.  When I get them.  Which I will.  Thank you.

No comments: