Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Whither Roses?

(Found here.)

Why a show about roses?!?  Because it's Valentine's Day, of course!

Valentine's Day is one of those shows that I celebrate every year, except instead of a general theme (like Christmas), I focus on one aspect of the holiday.  I have done a Valentine's Day show nearly every year since the show's inception, except in 2006, when the show was off the air because the station had caught fire.

In 2003, I did a general show, thinking I'd be doing it much like the Christmas show, but the next year found me following my instincts toward more specific themes.  Thus:

On February 11, 2004, the show was about love.
On February 9, 2005, the show was about hate.
On February 9, 2007, the show was about crushes.
On February 8, 2008, the show was about jealousy.
On February 14, 2009, the show was about boyfriends, so the next year, on February 8, 2010, the show was about girlfriends.
On February 8, 2011, I played self-described love songs.
On February 13, 2012, the show was downright lovesick.
On February 8, 2013, I had songs that finished the sentence love is...
Four years ago on this date, February 14, 2014, I figured I'd do a show about valentines (including Valentine's Day, of course).
The next year, on February 13, 2015, I had many songs about famous lovers.
On February 9, 2016, the show was about heartbreak, & last year, on February 8, 2017, the show was about sweethearts.

This year, of course, everything's coming up roses.  So if you're not too busy with your own valentine, I have prepared a bouquet of songs about roses tonight on Self Help Radio, which airs from 9-11pm eastern on 93.9 fm WLXU in Lexington & everything online at Lexington Community Radio dot org.

If not, don't worry - the flowers will stick around for  while.

No comments: