Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Whither Keys?

(Image from here.)

Gosh, I dunno.  Why a show about keys?  I remember a time when I was involved as a director of a radio station & also had the keys to several rooms at my work & so I had lots & lots of keys.  In fact, I had so many keys I ended up ripping a hole in the right front pocket of one of my pairs of pants.  But to be fair, I also had a large key ring, in the shape of a pig, that someone gave me.

Now I have only four keys: three that go to doors in my house, & one I don't know what it's for.  That's weird.  I no longer have a key for my car.  I have a fob.  If I carry it with me, I can push a button & my car will start.  If I don't, it won't.  Will we one day have devices that will do the same with doors?  & will my wife forgot those, too?

When I used to have lots of keys - before they ripped a hole in my pocket - I used to sometimes feel a weird sense of pride at having so many keys.  I thought it meant I had reached some level of responsibility or something.  It might have been because I admired the key ring of Schneider, Anne Romano's super on One Day At A Time:

(Image found here.)

Though I didn't want to be creepy like him, & always barge into apartments where there were single women raining two teenage girls.  That's pretty reprehensible.

The thing is, now that I'm down to four keys (or three, really, until I find out what the fourth one does), I don't care.  I have now in fact a radio show filled with keys!

Which is on tonight from 9-11pm eastern, 8-10pm central, on 93.9 fm WLXU or the same place online.  It should be fun, & who knows?  It may be the key that unlocks your heart.  Whatever that means.

No comments: