Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Do You Ever Dream Of Vin Diesel?

Because I do.  He finds his way into my dreams.

There has to be some kind of trigger, though.  Usually it's that some Fast &/or Furious movie is on the television right before some other show I'm going to watch, & I just catch a glimpse of him & then that night, boom, he's in my dreams.

Some dreams are banal enough.  I had a dream recently where I went to my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant in Austin & he was there, next to me, at the buffet.  I said to him, "Hey."  He said, "Hey."  He seemed impossibly tall.  But when I was eating I didn't see him anywhere, & assumed that there was a kind of Celebrity Room I would never be invited to where people like Vin Diesel ate.

But other times he's an important part of the dream.  One time I dreamt I was visiting an unnamed Eastern European country, & he was showing me around.  That was a great dream because it became cinematic & Vin Diesel was soon one of the locals & I soon found myself involved in what seemed like rebellion or treachery against the unnamed Eastern European country's dictator, although I was wholly innocent & even ignorant of what the situation there was.  After spending some time in the countryside, I had to be rushed to the capital city because of a small emergency - I hurt my foot - Vin Diesel took me - but although I had been there before, the whole atmosphere of the town had changed, & indeed, at the hospital, I saw Vin Diesel in military get-up & realized he had been framing me for some unspecified sedition & soon I was thrown in jail.  (They never treated my hurt foot.)

Listen, I know dreams are boring, but this one ended well: I came to realize I was in an actual novel written by an unnamed Eastern European writer who had escaped some dictatorship & once I did, I was able to limp out of prison unmolested.  Then I realized that the book had a series of scholarly essays at the end & I didn't want to read them, so I woke up instead.

The point is, I saw Vin Diesel in something in passing on the television tonight.  Which means I'll probably find him later in my dreams.  Will he simply be a bystander, or maybe on a billboard or television in the dream?  Or will he play a main part - like, will he & I be in a speeding car doing daredevil driving?  I hope so.

But whatever happens, I think I'll probably dream of Vin Diesel tonight.

No comments: